Friday, August 29, 2014

ALONE


ALONE     August 29, 2014

     Are “alone” and “lonely”, forever linked?  I can safely say that most lonely people are alone, but everyone who is lonely is not necessarily alone.  They are really two different states of being.   I am writing about both because of my need to share my thinking, a habit from my column writing days.  Perhaps my words can help clarify some one else’s thinking.

     When I am alone I find opportunities to untangle many of the knots of daily living that leave me anguished, feeling powerless even, incompetent.  Those feelings need assessment, thoughtful and direct confrontation.  The best time to work on them is when I am alone.  Delicious moments of silence are a treat. When I remove my hearing aids I am inspired to think, the experience of silence transports me to another world, a whisper world when I have me, myself and I to myself.  Being alone is a journey I frequently enjoy. I allow my thoughts to wander as I examine bumps in the road. I have learned how to enjoy my own company. 

     There are those who meditate when they are alone.  That is a comfort I am sure.  I prefer the word contemplate because that is the way I spend my alone time. I do more reflecting than meditating.  While I reflect on why I did or experienced this or that my best memories bubble up to meet me, to comfort me, to support me, to help me understand.

     Loneliness is completely different.  It is also a journey; its very nature has a negative connotation.  It is defined by its incompleteness.  We get lonely because we are missing companionship, frequently, specific companionship; my loneliness is accompanied by feelings of neglect, abandonment.  As time marches on lonely evolves into a helpless feeling that takes considerable motivation to dissipate.  We must work hard not to wallow in the feeling that it leads to self-pity, to “poor me”, the attitude that brings escalating sadness.  There are many ways to dissipate loneliness.  I take a walk spend time chatting with neighbors and friends.  I always stroll home feeling better.  Frequently I find that I am not alone with my loneliness, others have been there or are going through it.  It is good to share. Make a phone call to a long neglected friend.  Find an old movie on TV, ask a friend to join you.  Combating loneliness takes work.  Working for oneself, however can be satisfying.

     At times, I enjoy being alone, I can set my own time schedule, nap when I wish, eat when I am hungry, move when I am motivated.  I can even do the laundry at odd times, set the a/c to my body temperature or throw unmatched layers of clothing on my back.       Loneliness on the other hand brings tears to my eyes, I miss the warm touch of his hands, the gentle support he always offered and the love we shared.  The cure for loneliness at 90 is not readily available.  Wherever one lives, at home or in a comfortable retirement facility, at the end of the day, the front door closes and we are alone and in the evening, loneliness is waiting.   I have accepted those lonely moments as just one of the things I have learned to live with like the drought!

No comments:

Post a Comment